Senior Product Designer
Hi, my name is Lewis Warren. I’m the designer here at Delicious Brains Inc. As in, the only designer at the moment.
Delicious Brains makes high quality software products for WordPress. We’re a small team of developers, one designer, three marketers, and one founder and wearer of all the other hats. I’m very proud to be part of a team that produces quality work and delights thousands of customers. Delicious Brains has been a fully remote company since its inception in 2012.
Despite the crazy times we’re living in, we have big plans for 2022 and this is a great opportunity to join a small team of talented folks building awesome products before we get bigger.
I joined the team in 2019 and work across all of our products, sites and marketing assets. Recent growth means that we now need a second designer to help us continue to scale and keep up momentum.
We are a design-lead company. We do wireframing internally (the developers, product managers, Brad, and I collaborate on them) before getting into high fidelity design work.
One of the cornerstones of our products is offering a fantastic user experience and this is something our customers thank us for time and time again. Combining this with beautifully designed user interfaces means that we can provide products to our customers that delight them as well as deliver on practicality and efficiency.
I’m looking for a talented product designer who can work with us 30-37.5 hours per week and is excited about the prospect of joining a small but growing remote company.
I personally review all applications myself.
Most of our product sites desperately need some love. In addition, our products themselves require constant design attention. With just one designer, it’s going to take far too long to get to some of these projects. I need a partner working with me, who can help me ship some of these projects sooner.
If you’re interested in what we’re capable of, you can check out the WP Migrate DB Pro site redesign that was just launched in April. We also redesigned the product itself. We’re very happy with the results of that project.
The SpinupWP site could definitely use some work, but it’s in an ok state. The SpinupWP app is in good shape too.
We’re currently implementing a redesign of the WP Offload Media plugin and will be starting a redesign of the product site soon too. Next up is the Better Search Replace plugin and site and the Advanced Custom Fields plugin and site.
Although your primary role will be to design our products, you will work on all-things design, so a varied skill set is beneficial. At first you will work closely with me, checking in with daily standups to ensure you have what you need to work effectively and to check your progress. Once we establish trust, you will operate with complete autonomy and make high level design decisions on your own or as part of the design team, reporting to me on a weekly basis. Your responsibilities will include:
- Collaborate with product teams to design new UIs and enhance existing ones
- Work with the marketing team on new designs for our web site, ad campaigns, blog content and print materials
- Engage with our customers to verify design effectiveness
- Design new t-shirts and other swag to send to our customers
- Keep up to date with the latest UI trends
- Manage your tasks and priorities to ensure that projects are completed as promised
- 5 years experience as a product or digital designer
- An expert at using either Sketch or Figma
- Your work hours must overlap with mine (9am – 5pm GMT) by four hours in the beginning, then we can relax this requirement
- Extensive experience designing for the web, including responsive
- Made significant contributions to the design of at least one SaaS or mobile app
- Lead the UX for at least one project
- Experience validating UIs with customers
- Collaborated with developers on projects
- Comfortable and confident in technical discussions
- Experience using and editing both bitmaps and vector images
- Happy to learn front-end development skills in order to implement designs
- Self-motivated and work well independently
- Comfortable working remotely (we don’t have an office)
- Experience with other design disciplines such as illustration, video and motion graphic work
- Experience using the Adobe Cloud Suite. More specifically Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects
- Front-end development skills
- Experience working remotely
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Not only are you a great product designer, you’re a designer in a broad sense. You admire and appreciate well-designed things, whether it be a building, a bridge, a phone or a laptop stand. You die a little inside when you have to buy something that is poorly designed. You follow, admire, and engage with other talented designers and have your finger on the pulse when it comes to the latest UI trends.
You have extensive experience designing digital products, particularly web apps. You look forward to meetings with developers and are energized by technical conversations.
“When your favorite tool is a hammer, then all you see is nails.”
That saying does not describe you. Although you’re a talented visual designer, you’re acutely aware that “more paint” is not always the solution. You apply visual design very carefully and intentionally. You prioritize simplicity and user experience over visual design and strive for just the right balance.
You have mastered either Figma or Sketch and use it as your primary design tool. You know how to structure a design system and like to keep your design files organized with a strong emphasis on using symbols and creating reusable components.
You have a strong eye for detail and notice the little things. Any work submitted for review will never contain basic errors or be littered with spelling mistakes.
You know when to use an SVG over a JPEG and have a good technical knowledge of image types and optimization. You also have a basic understanding of HTML and CSS, and are aware of how certain design decisions can impact front-end development.
You’re curious and love to learn new skills as well as develop existing ones. I joined with limited front-end experience and now I convert all designs to HTML and CSS myself.
You work well in a team and relish having another designer to collaborate and share ideas with as well as understanding the importance of developing a strong team dynamic.
Although you enjoy working with people to help you generate ideas and formulate a plan of attack on a project, you do your best work in isolation without interruption. You’re proactive in tackling things that need to be done without direction.
You embrace the opportunity to level up, learn something new and really dig into it. You’re a disciplined worker and have no trouble getting work done at home on any given day.
You’re exceptional at communicating in writing via instant message, email, etc. You’re ok on the phone and video chat too. You understand that clear, concise written communication is how remote teams thrive.
You own both successes and failures. When a project you’re leading turns into a disaster, you own it and you learn from it. You never point the finger at others.
You invite criticism and genuinely want to grow as a professional. You’re onboard with pushing each other to be better and are not afraid to give constructive criticism in addition to receiving it.
Similarly, you are not afraid to challenge any critiques to your work that you do not agree with. However, you do this in a respectful manner and in the best interest of the project, not your ego.
- Remote First. We have always been a remote company, since the very start in 2012. Working from home has its challenges, but you’ll be surrounded by empathetic folks who have been successfully working from home for many years.
- Company Retreats. As a remote company, it’s super important to get some face time. In 2019 we had a blast in Berlin but we had to cancel our trip to Portugal this past June. Hopefully we’ll be able to meet up again soon. Will you be joining us?
- Location Independent. Work from wherever you’re happiest. All members of our team currently work from their homes in the US, Canada, the UK, Egypt and India.
- Choose Your Schedule. Most companies claim to have flexible hours, but the reality is often very different. We flex our hours for real. 💪 As long as on average you’re working the number of hours you’ve committed to working each week, we’re good.
- Personal Development. If there’s a conference or event that will help you level up, the company will cover your expenses. You’re also allotted some time each month to learn something new unrelated to your job, participate in community discussions, and/or contribute to an open source project.
- Profit Sharing. I present a detailed financial report to the team quarterly so everyone knows how the company is doing. And when the company does well, the team does well. Last year, on average team members received USD $3,600 each.
- Company Holidays. Things get pretty quiet in late December / early January, so we always treat ourselves to a couple of weeks off to reboot during this time.
- Paid Leave. For the birth or adoption of a child, the company offers 8 weeks of 100% paid leave for primary caregivers and 3 weeks for secondary caregivers. We also offer 5 paid sick days and 3 days of paid bereavement leave.
- Health Insurance. Members of the team based in Canada are eligible for health/dental/life/disability insurance on a company plan while those outside of Canada are eligible for a stipend to partially cover insurance costs.
- Competitive Salaries. The company typically pays salaries that are competitive with the market in which you reside. There are situations that call for higher pay even when living in a region with a lower cost of living, so we’re flexible on this.
I wrote this job posting like an informal message to you. Please reply to it in an email (no attachment letters please), introduce yourself, and let me know why you’re applying. Describe how you meet the Requirements, if you score any Bonus Points, if you’re the person I describe, and what’s on your resume that I ought not miss. Ideally you’ll include a link to your resume and portfolio as well. Send your reply to email@example.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Application information that is prone to unconscious biases is hidden during the review process whenever possible. We judge the content of the applications on their own without knowledge of the applicant’s race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. We support workplace diversity, but not at the expense of equal opportunity and meritocracy. We’re looking for talented and empathetic people no matter their other attributes.
I look forward to reviewing your application.
Best of luck,
Senior Product Designer
Delicious Brains Inc.
Updated September 22, 2021