Hi, my name is Brad Touesnard. I’m the founder of Delicious Brains Inc. We make high quality products for WordPress.
The “we” is a growing team of talented developers, designers, and marketers. We’ve grown a lot recently, from 10 people eight months ago, to 20 people today, and we plan to add a few more folks before the year is out. I’m very proud to say that our company has been managing to delight thousands of customers, working from our homes since 2012.
Despite the crazy times we’re living in, we have big plans for the next 12 months and this is a great opportunity to join a small team of talented folks building awesome products.
I’m looking for an experienced editor with the ability to turn technical concepts and ideas into compelling content. You will be responsible for editing all content published by our team. Currently I’m the backstop and you’ll gradually take this over from me.
You will work very closely with Jonathan (Technical Writer), Thomas (Video Producer), and Caillie (Junior Marketing Manager) to decide what new content we should produce and what we should do with existing content to make our overall offering stronger to visitors as well as Google. Content includes both written and video tutorials, written documentation and videos, and marketing copy and video. You will be the last line of defence against publishing content that does not meet our high bar of quality.
Our products are designed for and marketed to developers and are quite technical. Some experience using technical products like ours would be ideal, but you don’t need to be able to write code. Jonathan and Thomas both have development backgrounds and will be responsible for making sure our work is correct on a technical level.
Although editing will be your top priority, you will also write as time allows. If you like to do both, this role should be a good mix.
- Gatekeeper of all content
- Edit and fact-check content generated by teammates and freelancers to ensure consistency, flow, voice, and tone
- Verify factual correctness of content, dates, statistics
- Write product release posts, emails, tutorials, copy, etc
- Establish brand voice and tone guidelines for each channel and enforce said guidelines
- Adhere to established content style guidelines and collaborate with team on maintaining guidelines
- Research our products, the problem space, competitors, tangential solutions, and trends
- Keep a map of our content in mind and identify gaps
- Bring fresh perspectives and ideas to weekly meetings
- Manage and mentor a small team of content creators
- Attend company retreats
- Outstanding clear, concise writing skills
- 5+ years of work experience in a similar role, ideally in software or technology
- Experience managing and organizing a significant library of content
- Experience producing content that has proven to delight audiences
- Experience copywriting
- Values collaboration, but also self-motivated and works well independently
- Welcomes criticism and genuinely wants to grow as a professional
- Loves to learn and constantly learning and levelling up
- Owns both successes and failures
- Comfortable working remotely (we don’t have an office)
- Experience with SEO practices
- Experience in technology and software, especially WordPress
- Open source contributions
You feel a profound sense of accomplishment after publishing a piece you’ve helped chisel into something great. You thrive on editing other people’s work and bringing it to the next level to delight an audience.
When you encounter something you’re not sure about, you stop, research, ask questions, and make sure, rather than skipping along. When you find yourself on autopilot, you start over. You never sign off on a piece unless you’re confident you’ve been over it all with a fine tooth comb. You have lots of experience doing this work and know you love it.
You’re curious and love to learn. You embrace the opportunity to level up, learn something new and really dig into it. You’re a disciplined worker and have no trouble getting work done at home on any given day.
You value consistency above preference and will adopt new styles, standards, and tools to that end. You are stellar at coming up with clear, concise prose in a sea of kludgy possibilities.
Although you enjoy working with people to help you generate ideas and formulate a plan of attack on a project, you do your best work in isolation without interruption. You’re proactive in tackling things that need to be done without direction.
You’re exceptional at communicating in writing via instant message, email, etc. You’re ok on the phone and video chat too. You understand that clear, concise written communication is how remote teams thrive. People being confused by a message you’ve posted is extremely rare.
You own both successes and failures. When a project you’re leading turns into a disaster, you own it and you learn from it. You never point the finger at others.
You invite criticism and genuinely want to grow as a professional. You’re onboard with pushing each other to be better and are not afraid to give constructive criticism in addition to receiving it.
- Remote First. We have always been a remote company, since the very start in 2012. Working from home has its challenges, but you’ll be surrounded by empathetic folks who have been successfully working from home for many years.
- Company Retreats. As a remote company, it’s super important to get some face time. In 2019 we had a blast in Berlin but we had to reschedule our 2020 trip to Portugal for 2022. Will you be joining us?
- Location Independent. Work from wherever you’re happiest. All members of our team currently work from their homes in the US, Canada, the UK, India, Sweden, Egypt, South Africa, and Mexico.
- Choose Your Schedule. Most companies claim to have flexible hours, but the reality is often very different. We flex our hours for real. 💪⏱ As long as on average you’re working the number of hours you’ve committed to working each week, we’re good.
- Personal Development. If there’s a conference or event that will help you level up, the company will cover your expenses. You’re also allotted some time each month to learn something new unrelated to your job, participate in community discussions, and/or contribute to an open source project.
- Profit Sharing. I present a detailed financial report to the team quarterly so everyone knows how the company is doing. And when the company does well, the team does well. Last year, on average team members received USD $3,600 each.
- Company Holidays. Things get pretty quiet in late December / early January, so we always treat ourselves to a couple of weeks off to reboot during this time.
- Paid Leave. For the birth or adoption of a child, the company offers 8 weeks of 100% paid leave for primary caregivers and 3 weeks for secondary caregivers. We also offer 5 paid sick days and 3 days of paid bereavement leave.
- Health Insurance. Members of the team based in Canada are eligible for health/dental/life/disability insurance on a company plan while those outside of Canada are eligible for a stipend to partially cover insurance costs.
- Competitive Salaries. The company typically pays salaries that are competitive with the market in which you reside. There are situations that call for higher pay even when living in a region with a lower cost of living, so we’re flexible on this.
This job posting was written like an informal message to you. Please reply to it in an email (no attachment letters please), introduce yourself, and let me know why you’re applying. Describe how you meet the Requirements, if you score any Bonus Points, if you’re the person I describe, and what’s on your resume that I ought not miss. Ideally you’ll include a link to your resume as well. Send your reply to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Application information that is prone to unconscious biases is hidden during the review process whenever possible. We judge the content of the applications on their own without knowledge of the applicant’s race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. We support workplace diversity, but not at the expense of equal opportunity and meritocracy. We’re looking for talented and empathetic people no matter their other attributes.
I look forward to reviewing your application.
Best of luck,
Founder & CEO
Delicious Brains Inc.
Updated July 10, 2021