We aren’t currently looking to add another developer to the team at the moment. We probably will be hiring again in mid 2019 though so if you’re interested and not in a hurry, please do submit your resume and follow up later.
Hi, my name is Brad Touesnard. I’m the founder of Delicious Brains Inc. We make high quality products for WordPress.
The “we” is currently Ian Jones, Iain Poulson, Ashley Rich, Gilbert Pellegrom, Matt Shaw, Peter Tasker, Liz Lockard, Caillie West, Lewis Warren and myself. Liz manages marketing, Caillie helps out with marketing and support while Lewis is our designer. The others develop our products and support our customers. I wear the remaining hats.
We put a lot of effort into making sure our products are a pleasure to use, which means very few bugs and all the details are just right. We’re looking for someone who recognizes the value in this and is passionate about building an awesome product and owning the little big details. If this piques your interest, you should consider this opportunity.
I personally review all applications myself.
- Collaborate with the team, working on all of our current WordPress plugins including WP Migrate DB Pro, WP Offload Media, WP Offload SES and their addons
- Work on building new WordPress plugins and new addons for existing plugins
- Work on the new SaaS app, SpinupWP, we built with Laravel
- Help handle support requests from customers
- Write articles and tutorials for our blog
- Contribute to an active open source project 1-day per month (on company time)
- Engage with the WordPress community by attending WordPress events
- Superb English communication skills (spoken and written)
To be clear, “superb” means outstanding, excellent, nearly perfect. Anything less will not do.
- Advanced PHP/MySQL skills
If you aren’t an expert WordPress plugin developer, that’s ok. But you should be an expert PHP/MySQL developer at least.
- Excellent HTML/CSS/JS skills
- Self-motivated and work well independently
Meaning you don’t need to be nudged every step of the way and are proactive in tackling things that need to be done without direction. You should also have good judgment and attention to detail, love tackling challenging problems, and be eager to experiment and learn.
- Comfortable working remotely (we don’t have an office)
- Experience using git
- Welcomes criticism and genuinely wants to grow as a developer
- Values consistency and is willing to adopt new coding styles, standards, and tools
- Experience developing WordPress plugins or themes
- System administration skills
- UX and design skills
- Computer Science degree or equivalent
Most of our customers are located in the US, so ideally you’re in a timezone that overlaps with a US timezone. So anywhere in North/Central/South America. We won’t write you off if you’re located elsewhere though. Work from wherever you’re happiest. We’re distributed across the globe, working from our homes in Nova Scotia, Ontario, California, Pennsylvania, Scotland and England.
You Choose Your Schedule
What’s your ideal schedule? Maybe you like the regular 9am-5pm schedule. Or maybe a 4-day work week is your thing. Or maybe you prefer to work 6-days per week, but less each day. Or maybe it changes week-to-week.
It really doesn’t matter as long as it’s at least 32 hours per week and you put in the time we agree upon.
You Choose Your Benefits
What’s an attractive benefits package? Well, it really depends on the person. What do you value?
Maybe a competitive salary is what you’re after. Or maybe you really value vacation time and would rather less pay and more vacation days. Maybe health coverage is important to you, or maybe you’re already covered.
Because everyone values things differently, I’m leaving this wide open. Carte blanche. I’m certain we can work out an arrangement you’ll be happy with.
As a remote company, it’s important that we meet up a couple of times per year to get some face time. For these events, the company covers food/drink, flights/trains/cars, and accommodations. In the past, we’ve done company retreats in Miami, Vienna, Nova Scotia and Negril, Jamaica . Where will we go next?
I read your application. If it’s missing any of the info I ask for below, I trash it. If it sounds like you might be a fit, I rank your application. I then sort all the ranked applications and reply to the top ones first. We have an email discussion and answer each other’s questions. If that works out, then I’ll ask you to start working part-time on our products as a member of the team. There’s no better way for you to see if you like the work and for us to see if you’re a fit.
This part-time period could be as short as 3 weeks, but certainly no longer than 12 weeks. Depends mostly on how much time you can put in daily during the trial. If everything is working out great, then you’ll be offered a full-time position.
How to Apply
Send a well written email to work @ our domain name telling me about yourself and please make sure to include all of the following:
- Where you’re located
- Your PHP/MySQL experience
- Your HTML/CSS/JS experience
- Have you worked with WordPress? If so, briefly describe your experience.
- Have you previously worked remotely? Tell me about it.
- Are you currently employed? Freelancing?
- Why does this job interest you?
- Why would you be a good choice?
- Have you used our products? If so, what did you think?
- Guided tour of some code that you’re proud of
- WordPress.org links, GitHub/Bitbucket links, and links to
zip files all work great. No email attachments.
- Send a whole project, not bits and pieces of one. The code should
show off your code organization skills and have some complexity to it.
- Describe what the code does, why you’re proud of it, and point
out any areas I should explore.
- WordPress.org links, GitHub/Bitbucket links, and links to
The following items aren’t as critical to include as the above, but if you have them please include them as well:
- Resume link (no email attachments). If there’s something really important in your resume, mention it.
- GitHub profile link
- Twitter profile link
- WordPress.org profile link
I look forward to personally reviewing your application.
Best of luck,
Founder & CEO
Delicious Brains Inc.
Updated October 16, 2019